Last August I threw my youngest son a simple party for his 3rd birthday. I was a simple party where we threw it at his kindergarten. After some discussion with his teachers, we agreed to make it during tea time, where tea is served together with fried noodles.
I had prepared a birthday banner in advance for the teachers to paste on the wall. As a working mother, birthday cake is not normally a cake. Some times I use pudding, sometimes tart and the list goes on.
For this birthday batch I made an ice-cream cake. It was so simple but yet catches the taste buds of the children. Ice cream cakes are really quite easy to make at home. Though they do take a bit longer than a regular layer cake in terms of prep time, they are not difficult at all to put together. Just make sure to save room in the freezer for the finished cake. And always remember that this isn’t the kind of homemade dessert that you can stick in an airtight container and leave on the counter!
My version of ice-cream cake is a 100% ice-cream, sandwich together with chocolate sauce in between.
Below is simple steps to make ice-cream cake.
2 containers of vanilla ice-cream
A packet of M&Ms
1. Layer A: Place vanilla ice-cream on the counter and set aside to soften. Once soft, spoon into baking pan and smooth with a spatula. Freeze until firm. (You may need to cover the pan with foil to easily remove it.)
2. Layer B : Repeat step 1 for the second layer.
3. Remove pan A from freezer. Pour chocolate sauce onto the ice cream. Freeze until the chocolate sauce sets.
4. Remove layer B from pan. Place it on top of layer A, with chocolate sauce in between. Freeze for 5 minutes.
5. When ready to serve, carefully remove from pan and decorate with M&Ms.